Top 5 Lateral Head Tricep Exercises: Easy Tricep Workouts
First, what is tricep? The triceps is a big, strong muscle in the upper arm’s lateral region. The tricep’s primary role is to extend the elbow joint. If anyone is interested in a triceps workout like a bodybuilder, you must do all ideal tricep exercises.
Every tricep exercise makes a substantial impact on muscular strength. You’ll get the robust triceps muscle if you follow particular outer tricep workouts. There are three muscular heads in the triceps: lateral head, long head, and medial head.
Long head: Most of your triceps mass comprises this muscle.
Lateral head: This head is smaller than the long head, yet it is the most apparent side.
Medial head: This triceps brachii is the least apparent muscle in the triceps, but it is essential for overall strength and stability.
So, you have to work out for these muscle heads to increase the arm’s size, strength, stability, and perfect shape. This article will mainly explain and list all essential lateral head tricep exercises.
What is Lateral Head Tricep?
The lateral head of the tricep is the most comprehensive and most apparent tricep muscle from the side. Large, rapid fibers and sensory units make up most of the lateral head. Moreover, the point of attachment for the lateral head on the humerus is higher than the attachment point for the medial head.
Benefits of Lateral Head Tricep Exercises
The primary benefit of these lateral head tricep exercises is to extend the elbow joint and strengthen the upper arm. Every bodybuilder has a substantial upper arm because of their massive triceps. And, they are following proper tricep exercises.
Although all three heads will function together in tricep exercises, proper exercise selection can improve each muscle head’s involvement. In addition, the lateral head tricep contributes a lot to the appearance of the arms.
Every exercise has a unique impact on the lateral head of the tricep. While all three triceps heads are necessary for arm size and strength, focusing on the lateral head will give your arms a more attractive shape. So, when you have the time and potential to try these outer tricep workouts, definitely you’ll get the massive upper arm in aesthetic shape.
What are the Best Lateral Head Tricep Exercises?
Here, I’ll list and explain all the possible lateral head tricep exercises, which will help you know more about the impacts of tricep lateral head exercises. Also, I’ll explain how to do the exercises correctly.
Some people do not know about proper lateral tricep head exercises. It’ll cause poor posture and wandering elbows. So first, you have to understand which exercises will improve our arm’s lateral head muscles. Second, you have to know how to do the lateral head tricep exercises with the correct arm position.
Following the best lateral head tricep exercises will get you a more robust and more stable upper arm muscle. So, let’s discuss the outer tricep workouts strategies and instructions.
Top 5 Lateral Head Tricep Exercises
- Diamond Push-ups
- Tricep Bench Dips
- Tricep Rope Pushdown V-Bar Attachment
- Tricep Dumbbell Kickbacks
- Close Grip Bench Press
The Diamond Push-up is excellent for strengthening the lateral head of the tricep brachii muscle. It is the most efficient workout for targeting the lateral and long heads of the triceps.
The diamond push-up came out on top compared to other tricep workouts based on their effectiveness. Moreover, this bodyweight exercise can be performed anywhere, including at home or on flat surfaces. Triangle push-ups are another name for diamond push-ups.
Procedure for Diamond Push-ups
- Get down on your hands and knees, pressing your thumbs and index fingers together to make a diamond shape.
- Inhale as you lower your chest to the floor, keeping your elbows tucked in and your body straight and stiff.
- Exhale as you return to the beginning posture by extending your elbows and pushing your body up.
- Repeat the procedure a total of 10 to 15 times. Also, for best results, do around five sets.
The Advantages of Diamond Push-ups
- This bodyweight exercise does not require any additional equipment or dumbbells.
- Triceps are great for gaining lean muscle and increasing triceps firmness.
- Moreover, it improves the upper arm’s core stability, appearance, and strength.
- You can perform this push-up anywhere. So, it is the best suitable exercise for routine home workouts. In addition, it helps to enhance shoulder strength.
- The main point is the position of your upper arms. If you feel more pain in the shoulders or elbows while doing this push-up, you have to change the arm position.
- The continued abnormal pain will cause Shoulder injuries. So, you can focus on other bodyweight exercises. Other than that, it is the best lateral head tricep exercise for routine home workouts.
Tricep Bench Dips
This exercise will necessitate the use of two benches. Moreover, it is one of the best lateral head tricep exercises because you have to use your full strength on your elbows for doing this workout.
Procedure for Tricep Bench Dips
- First, place one bench behind you and another one in front of you in a Parallel position.
- Second, place your hands on the bench behind you, hold them on edge, and place your legs on the top of another bench. Maintain a perpendicular relationship with the bench, with your arms completely extended.
- Next, lower your body till you feel a tiny stretch in your elbows and form a perpendicular angle. Then, return to the beginning posture with your body.
- Repeat for three sets of 10–15 reps, and incorporate them into your exercises 2–3 times a week.
The Advantages of Tricep Bench Dips
- Consistently performing tricep bench dips will increase athletic performance. Additionally, it improves upper arm stability.
- It will increase your body’s metabolism. This lateral head tricep exercise is also suitable for home workouts.
Always keep a neutral neck position while performing bench dips. And, Keep your elbows close to your body. Additionally, the slower movement of this dip will increase better results.
Tricep Rope Pushdown V-Bar Attachment
This lateral head tricep exercise requires a pushdown machine to perform this isolated workout. This cable machine is targetting your triceps, especially the lateral head triceps. Also, this exercise is suitable for athletes.
Procedure for Tricep Rope Pushdown V-Bar Attachment
- Begin by standing under the cable pulley and setting the pulley to the highest height setting on the cable machine. Then, hold the handle with an overhand grip.
- Exhale as you push the rope all the way down with your elbows extended.
- Also, maintain the neutral neck position and make palms face each other.
- Lower the bar till it reaches the front of the thighs. Then, keep your upper arms as stable as possible.
- Also, keep your body stable and get the bar close to your body. You have to move only the forearms. Repeat the same procedure for 2-3 sets of 10–15 reps.
The Advantages of Tricep Rope Pushdown V-Bar Attachment
- This exercise enhances the core stability of the upper arm and the lateral head of the triceps. Also, It strengthens your wrists. This exercise only focuses on the muscle groups used to stabilize the muscle imbalances.
- Although you can do this exercise in the gym, you can also do it at home with the help of a resistance band.
Don’t do excessive elbow movement during this exercise. Proper form is vital if you want to grow the triceps muscle properly. So, keep the proper workout positions in mind when executing all of the lateral head tricep exercises.
Tricep Dumbbell Kickbacks
Tricep Dumbbell Kickbacks are one of the excellent isolate exercises, and it enhances the strength of your triceps muscle. If you have a lightweight dumbbell, you can work out this outer tricep exercise at home instead of going to the gym.
Procedure for Tricep Dumbbell Kickbacks
- Grab a lighter dumbbell (3-5)kg and walk over to a bench, where you’ll put one leg up. It’s the leg on the other side of the one you’re working on.
- Keep everything straight as you bend over and keep a bit arched back.
- Ensure your spine is aligned and Keep your spine in a neutral position on your neck.
- Maintain a slight bend in your knee and raise your elbow using your other foot for support.
- Kick it back so that your arm is parallel to the ground and forms a 90-degree angle. Also, when you complete the kick, make sure you exhale.
- And you can feel your triceps tearing up as soon as you finish one side and switch to the other. Repeat the procedure for a total of 12-15 reps.
The Advantages of Tricep Dumbbell Kickbacks
- Triceps dumbbell kickbacks hit more of the lateral head muscle fibers of the triceps than the other standard exercises.
- This lateral head tricep exercise is quickly done using a lightweight dumbbell doesn’t require any big machines for this workout. Moreover, it emphasizes the long head muscle of the tricep.
When you lift your arm at the top position, don’t bend your wrist. Also, keep your arm close to your body at all times. It removes the tension of the triceps brachii muscle.
Close Grip Bench Press
The close grip bench press is a favourite tricep exercise for every bodybuilder, and It strengthens the triceps and allows to activate the upper chest.
In this upper-body exercise, you have to use your upper arm to grab the weight and move towards your chest. In this position, the whole attention is focused on your tricep muscles brachii. Moreover, The emphasis is transferred to the tricep muscles when performing Close Grip Bench Press.
Procedure for Close Grip Bench Press
- Use a bench press and some weight on a bar for this workout. Unlike a wide grip on a regular bench press, take a narrow grip.
- Place your hand just beyond the grip’s edge, a little wider than your body.
- Keep your feet flat on the surface and make them comfortable at your position. Maintain a flat back and push straight up. Also, focus on keeping your elbows tighter towards your body. So, this will enhance the strength of the lateral head triceps and less on your chest.
- Extend your arms fully at the top and elbows close to your body at the bottom, bring it down till you’re barely shattering 90 degrees, Straighten your back, and exhale. Then repeat for 2 sets of 8-10 reps for better results.
The Advantages of Close Grip Bench Press
- While performing Close Grip Bench Press, it reduces the elbow flaring. Also, triceps stability increases significantly by lowering the weight.
- This outer tricep workout focuses on the tricep muscles, shoulders, and chest. In addition, this lateral head tricep exercise is beneficial to athletes.
- Don’t keep your hand too close together while holding the barbell. This action will cause harm to your elbow joints and tricep muscles.
- The improper grip on the barbells will cause severe injuries. Take a proper grip apart from the distance of the hands.
Everybody needs a healthy lifestyle, so we regularly follow routine workouts and physical activities daily. At this point, Dailyinfohunt has provided sufficient information about the top 5 lateral head tricep exercises in this article. I hope this article will be helpful for the fitness enthusiast.
- What are the best exercises for the lateral head tricep?
Diamond Push-ups, Tricep Bench Dips, Tricep Rope Pushdown V-Bar Attachment, Tricep Dumbbell Kickbacks, Close Grip Bench Press